I love scones for a weekend brunch treat or for a fancy afternoon tea.
Makes 12 small scones
You can easily sub all strawberries or all rhubarb in this, but you may want to adjust the quantities as the strawberries do add more moisture. And all unbleached flour works too! Serve with butter or with ultra-decadent clotted cream.
1 3/4 cup finely chopped rhubarb
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup finely chopped strawberries
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
approx. 1/2 cup sugar
approx. 1 1/2 cups whipping cream or heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a frying pan or saucepan, quickly saute the finely chopped rhubarb, 1-2 tbsp water and 2 tbsp sugar until just slightly tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together: whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, baking powder, salt and 1/3 cup sugar.
3. Gently stir in 1 1/3 cups whipping cream with a fork until it comes together. Add rhubarb and strawberries and gently stir. Add only a tablespoon more of cream at a time until needed to make it come together.
4. Divide the dough into two and gently and on flour-dusted surface, quickly pat into 2 circles approximately 1 1/2" thick. Cut each piece into 6 wedges.
5. Place onto parchment-lined baking sheet(s). Drizzle or brush all the scones with additional 1-2 tbsp whipping cream and sprinkle with approximately 1 tbsp sugar (in total, not each).
6. Bake for approximately 15-17 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden. Best served the same day or warmed up the second day.