Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Lemon Flax Loaf
The only special ingredient in this loaf is flaxmeal. Flax is full of fibre, omega 3 fatty acids and lignans that help protect against certain types of cancer. For more information, check out this website: http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/english/index.jsp?p=g1&mp=nutrition
Flaxmeal can be bought pre-ground, or you can grind your own flaxseeds in a blender or coffee grinder. It is always best to keep flaxmeal in your fridge or freezer so it doesn't go rancid and use within a few months of opening.
Lemon Flax Loaf
If you can get your hands on organic lemons, they are the best for this recipe since you will be using the rind in the recipe. If not, scrub the lemons well before using.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flaxmeal
2 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup buttermilk (or milk mixed with 2 tbsp vinegar)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use grapeseed)
1 organic lemon (grated rind and juice)
Optional glaze :
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a standard loaf pan.
2. Beat eggs and sugar in stand mixer, or with hand mixer, for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flaxmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In a large measuring cup, combine buttermilk, vegetable oil and the juice and rind of 1 lemon. All liquid ingredients should equal 1 1/2 cups.
5. Alternately add 1/3 of flour mixture and 1/2 liquid mixture. Beat for a minute and repeat additions. Add flour in last addition. Mix just until combined.
6. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for approximately 55 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
7. Let cool 5 minutes in pan before removing to cooling rack.
8. Optional glaze: Mix together 1/2 cup icing sugar and 1 tbsp lemon juice with fork until smooth. Drizzle over still-warm loaf. Let cool.
Posted by Michelle at 9:37 PM
Labels: baked goods, breakfast/brunch, flax, flax lemon loaf, flax recipes, lemon, lemon loaf, lemon recipes, snacks, vegetarian