Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Five Spice Tofu Stir-fry
It is both simple and delicious served with brown rice and some steamed broccoli. I am also imagining this nestled in some romaine lettuce cups with a squeeze of lime juice, a sprinkling of chopped cashews and cilantro as a lighter summer meal.
If you aren't a fan of tofu, try it with this sauce and you might change your mind. Or, go ahead and try it in a quick chicken stir-fry if that is the way you wok and roll.
Five (5) Spice Tofu Stir-fry
Use as much sauce as you'd like but this sauce could make enough for two stir-fries if you use it sparingly.
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp 5 spice powder
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1 350 g package extra firm or firm organic tofu
1 tsp cooking oil (sesame or grapeseed)
1. Mix soy sauce, water, brown sugar, cornstarch and 5 spice powder together in a shaker cup or jam jar.
2. Heat stir fry pan over medium-high heat.
3. Cut tofu width-wise into 2 slices and cut into small cubes. Toss tofu with salt and pepper.
4. Add oil to hot pan and then add tofu, stirring often until it is cooked through and golden on edges, about 3- 5 minutes.
5. Add as much cooking sauce as you'd like and stir fry for a minute or two until it turns glossy in appearance.
6. Serve immediately.
Posted by Michelle at 7:16 AM
Labels: 5 spice tofu, cheap eats, five spice tofu, meatless meal, quick, tofu, tofu stir-fry, vegan, vegetarian, vegetarian meal