We only make this on Christmas Day. Well, I made one exception for some friends that were visiting one fall morning but otherwise, it is a strict Christmas Day tradition. I am sharing this recipe as a gift this Christmas Day but I know you can't wait until next Christmas to try it. We will make an exception this year and allow you to make this Boxing Day or New Years Day if you want.
It must be served with a wedge of lemon squeezed on top, a drizzle of maple syrup and a dusting of icing sugar.
Baked Apple Pancake
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup unbleached flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
2-3 tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In blender, combine eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon until blended. Scrape down if needed.
3. Put butter into 9 X 13" pan and place in oven until butter is melted but not browned.
4. Add apple slices and bake for a few minutes until slightly softened.
5. Pour batter over top and sprinkle with brown sugar.
6. Bake in middle of oven for approximately 20 minutes. The longer you leave it, the more puffy it gets.
7. Cut into slices and serve immediately with lemon juice, syrup and icing sugar.