Friday, April 1, 2011
1. I love to cook.
2. I love chocolate.
3. Sometimes, on very rare occassions, I don't feel like cooking.
4. Serving chocolate to my kids for dinner is not really a good idea and it may hurt my reputation with the other preschool moms.
5. I wonder what my husband would serve for dinner without some direction.
6. I need a backup plan for those occasions when I am without an idea or incentive to cook.
Recently I had an "I do not want to cook" kind of night. But since we are trying to cut down on eating out, I really had no choice in the matter. So my best bet was trying to put something together mindlessly in less than 10 minutes that was hopefully moderately healthy.
Lately I have been rather vigilant about keeping edamame in the freezer for such occasions. It is quick, easy and can be served up in just a few minutes after the water comes to a boil. It can be a great snack, side dish or an appetizer, to hold the kids and adults over until dinner is served. This time, it gave me time to throw together some pasta and steam some veg while the edamame cooked.
Usually we have them the standard way- boiled in salted water and served with just a sprinkle of some delicate grey sea salt. Wonderfully delicious as is, but really delightful with a little adornment.
This time I wanted to shake things up a bit and thought I'd add some garlic, butter and parsley. Such a treat from the ordinary...it could even be served up at your fanciest party. Or maybe not, I guess it depends on whether you allow your dinner guests to lick their buttery fingers.
Serves 4 as an appetizer
Use chopsticks or finger bowls, your choice. Our family chooses to lick our fingers in the privacy of our own home...
1/2 package of organic edamame pods, cooked according to package directions
1 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed or microplaned
1 tbsp finely minced parsley
1. In a small ramekin, place butter, garlic and parsley. Heat in microwave for approximately 30-40 seconds.
2. Toss with just cooked, still warm, edamame. Sprinkle with sea salt.
3. Serve immediately.